Saturday, April 11, 2009
A Story of Faith (by Mike)
I am a man blessed beyond any other!!! As I write these words, I realize they will
be read by many people, some who know my past and wonder how I could ever
possibly marry again, after a life with Amy, and some who don’t know me at all, but
know Emily, and wonder what man could ever possibly be worthy of her. I don’t know
the answer to either of those questions. I just know this is where God has brought me
and I am amazed. This is our story.
It is a story of faith—two people seeking God, not a relationship, and yet, by His
hand, finding not only Him, but each other. I was a very happily married man, but God,
in His sovereign plan, chose to take my first wife, Amy, after a lengthy battle with brain
cancer, 8 months after He had chosen to take my oldest daughter, also named Emily,
suddenly, following unexpected complications from lung surgery. My daughter had been
my hero, my wife had been my heart. I was left to rebuild life as a single parent and a
PhD student.
I came to know Emily first through Amy’s involvement in the church choir, then
through her teaching my daughter Abbie in the 3rd grade, and finally as we began to
work with the singles group at our church. We were all quickly impressed by the light of
her smile and the joy of her heart. She became a frequent guest in our home and a
dear friend of the entire family. As we neared the time of Amy’s death, Emily ministered
faithfully to us, attentive to the various needs we faced. Before she died, Amy shared
with me what God had laid on her heart: “that she did not need to be afraid, Abbie
would be okay, Mike and Emily would take care of her.” I knew Emily was an incredible
woman and, if God was taking Amy from me, I hoped He would give to me someone
like Emily, although I never really thought that I had much of a chance with her.
As I faced the prospect of once more being single, I wondered and feared, “Who
would I be? Would I ever remarry? Do I really have to do this dating thing again?!” As I
thought back through my life, I realized that God had clearly arranged my first marriage.
If I was to get remarried, I wanted Him to arrange my second. I didn’t want to go looking
for a wife, much less to be set up! I figured if God wanted me to remarry, He would
bring that woman into my life (not realizing, of course, that He already had). I wanted to
know that woman well before the issue of a relationship was even considered so that I
might know the character of her life. I wanted to be her friend, and only her friend,
before there was talk of marriage and the awkward and sometimes deceptive attempts
at trying to impress. I wanted to know this woman in all of her strengths, weaknesses,
and unique quirks, to love her for each of these things, and to be known and loved by
her in the same way. I wanted a woman who was what I hoped my daughter would
grow to be, a woman who would both follow me as I sought God, but also challenge me
in what I might become.
Following Amy’s death, I came to realize that Emily was everything I sought. In
fact, as I thought of all that God had done and appeared to be doing, I believed, even if
I fell flat on my face, I would be disobedient to God if I didn’t at least try to win her heart.
I have always felt that it is for the man to pursue the woman and not vice versa,
because what a man does not work to obtain, he fails to cherish. I have also felt that it
is for the man to reveal his heart in complete openness and honesty and not for the
woman to do so until she has come to a sense of peace about the relationship, until
she has come to believe that this relationship is safe. And so I did.
I began to share my heart with her. I told her that I didn’t know what the grieving
process entailed, or how long it would take, or what it would mean for me, but if
somehow she would ever consider me, when the time was right, I hoped to gain her
permission to pursue her heart and her hand in marriage. And then, I immediately told
her all of the reasons why she should say no. She certainly didn’t say yes, but neither
did she say no.
In the coming weeks and months, we both sought the counsel of family and
friends about this potential relationship. Yet, due to Emily’s ministry and the need to
protect my daughter’s emotions, we kept the discussion limited and the relationship
quiet. Of course, there were questions: Is he okay? What about the grieving process? Is
his motivation right? Is this just an emotional situation where the goodness and love of
one heart filled the void in another?
I know that the grieving process is different in each circumstance for each one
involved. I do not share these words as judgment upon anyone, but only to describe
what I have done and experienced in the hope that perhaps they may be an
encouragement to someone else. I chose from the beginning to face my grief
aggressively. As I reflected on biblical examples and thought of the needs of my
daughter, I knew that I had to be open and honest about my feelings, expressing them
freely, and to work diligently to rebuild my life, finding a new sense of “normal.”
Fortunately, I have had the counsel of those who have also shared in this experience
and the awesome support of a loving church family and friends. At each step along the
way, I have shared with Emily my thoughts, my feelings, and tears. I did not want her to
be blind-sided by unresolved grief. I wanted us to be free to build a relationship together
without the baggage of the past. She has been, as those who know her well would fully
expect, a very loving and supportive encouragement throughout the experience.
In the past several months we have shared our hearts, our dreams, our fears,
first just in phone conversations, emails, and small group settings, then in quiet
encounters in public places (a day in Duke Garden, a bike ride, the wedding of a
friend...). We have shared in ministry as well (choir, worship band, trips to the nursing
home) and in the study of Scripture. At each point we have stopped to ask what many
of you may be thinking: “Who is this person God has brought into my life? Is this
relationship the work of His hand?”
So, who is this woman I’ve come to know and why do I love her so much? I once
compiled a list of over 50 items. (I could add far more now, but it’s best if I share just
the most important.) I love Emily because she reflects the glory of God in her joyful
smile and loving heart and zest for life. I love her for her breath-taking and unfading
beauty. While so many would merely paint the shell, she has cultivated the beauty of
her heart so that it bursts forth in radiance from her face and I am overwhelmed. I love
her because she expresses outwardly the passion that I feel inwardly. I love her for the
encouragement she gives to me and for the calm logic I can give to her. I love her for
her tender love and determination to see the best in people. I love her because she can
babysit 4 young kids for a week and consider it a wonderful vacation! I love her
because she talks so much and so expressively. (I’m a quiet man who loves to listen
and I miss her voice when she is gone.) I love her because, even if she is far more
organized than me and diligent to accomplish the tasks before her, she looks to me to
be the leader of our home and respects me for the gifts God has given me. I love her
because I believe God has brought her into my life.
Having been married before, I have a much better understanding of love than
when my first bride walked down the aisle. God has brought an amazing woman into
my life and I long to express my love to her, to cherish her as my most treasured
relationship in this world. I know the importance of keeping our hearts tender toward
each other, of not allowing the stresses of life to harden our hearts, and so, I have
determined to gaze daily into her eyes so that she might see all that is in my heart. (She
has the incredible ability to read me like a book. Why hide anything?)
In all of this, I have chosen to trust God and He has been faithful, even though at
times I did not understand where He was leading me, or why. In many respects He has
taken me through the valley of the shadow of death and now I find myself climbing out
into the bright sunshine. I do not regret any of this. For even in the pain, it was God and
He has done so much! And now, He has brought a most amazing joy into my life! I look
forward to the day when you can celebrate this joy with us. I pray that you too have
come to know, or will come to know, the God Who loves you so much!! And that one
day, I might hear your story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a beautiful love story! I cried and had goose bumps while reading it. I've shared it with my family & friends as well. It's amazing to see how God has brought you together! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!!!
ReplyDelete